In case you hadn’t noticed(!) – Christmas is coming. It’s that traditional time of year when our heads spin with a massive list of Things-To-Do. And whatever we tick on that list, there’s always another thing to think of, and another, and so on. Writing and posting cards; ordering the turkey; checking lonely relatives are invited; making sure the kids have got their presents but keeping within budget; trying to think of one or two surprises, as well as keeping to traditions when it comes to Dec 25. It goes on and on.
Maybe you’re a would-be Delia Smith or Jamie Oliver with an ambitious culinary plan to be really creative when it comes to making mince pies; putting together a colourful assortment of root veg to accompany the meleagris gallopavo (that’s the scientific name for turkey…) and eagerly eyeing up your prospects of turning out the perfect Christmas pudding, ‘like a speckled cannon-ball, so hard and firm, blazing in half of half-a-quartern of ignited brandy, and bedight with Christmas holly stuck into the top’, as Charles Dickens wrote in ‘A Christmas Carol’.
And the indoor fire – whether it’s a stove appliance or open fire – ensuring there’s enough logs in store for all the festive events. That’s important. Find out more tips on the Burn Right website about safely and efficiently using wood for indoor fires. In fact, browse right through this site to find out all you need to know about the subject.
But of course there’s another ‘Thing-To-Do’, which is far too easy to forget. That’s ironic too, if you use an indoor fire. Because it really deserves to be at the top of your all-important list. Simply stated: book a chimney sweep.
It’s dangerous to use your indoor fire stove or open fire – if the chimney has not been swept to professional standards. Previous use of the fire is likely to have clogged-up the flue with soot and other residue, which prevents carbon monoxide and other dangerous gas produced by fires from escaping safely to the outside atmosphere. Where does the gas go, if your chimney is blocked? It rolls back down into your home and – invisible and odourless – offers a lethal threat to your loved ones. Imagine your children snuggling up on the sofa in front of a fire, in a lounge full of carbon monoxide. There’s a realistic chance they could die from gas poisoning.
Also, how do you know if your flue or flue liner is damage-free in time for the festive period? Do you have your own CCTV gadgets, or tried and tested methods for checking the structure is fit for purpose? It’s unlikely.
So… please do book a Guild chimney sweep today in time for Christmas. Enjoy a safe festive break with the reassurance that your chimney and indoor fire set-up is safe to use. It makes sense! And then your family can enjoy a very Merry Christmas indeed!