In this document the term ‘solid fuel’ means any fuel that is not liquid or gas e.g. wood, coal, mineral smokeless fuels, wood derived fuels, biomass, etc. The term ‘appliance’ means any device or fire manufactured to be used for heating within a domestic property which uses solid fuel, e.g. open fire, woodburner, pellet stove, biomass boiler, cooker, solid fuel boiler, etc.
The laws, duties and responsibilities of a landlord towards tenants can seem a little ambiguous when it comes to the maintenance of solid fuel fire appliances and chimney flue sweeping. The use of words such as ‘chimney’ and ‘sweeping’ are absent in most legal publications and guidance papers, in the context of a tenancy.
Instead, generic terms and words have been used in Government guidance publications, e.g. landlords are deemed responsible for ‘heating systems’, ‘ventilation’, ‘gas appliances’ and ‘flues’.
All solid fuel appliances, be that an open coal fire, a wood burning stove or a solid fuel cooker will give off combustion gasses (all fires produce poisonous gasses). All solid fuel appliances fall within the category of heating appliances.
The landlord of a rented property has a legal responsibility to maintain the gas heating system, including chimney/flues and ventilation associated with the gas heating appliance. Therefore, the issue of who is responsible for maintaining solid fuel appliances and the chimneys/flues that expel dangerous gasses becomes less ambiguous.
A solid fuel fire appliance (heating system) will obviously produce poisonous gases that will require a clear and unobstructed flue to carry them away from the property. The property will also require an adequate ventilation system such as air vents or air bricks that are of an appropriate size to serve the appliance.
A landlord’s legal responsibilities to their tenants are tough enough and the cost of meeting those duties and responsibilities can weigh heavy. A lot of capital is invested in a rented property and the last thing a landlord wants is to see their investment go up in smoke, as a result of a chimney fire. Or worse, to be the defendant in a criminal case of negligence where imprisonment may be a possibility.
The reality is tenants do not always use solid fuel appliances correctly and this can result in chimney fires or carbon monoxide hazards. Entrusting their property investment to a tenant may be a risky venture for a landlord in certain circumstances. The modest cost of a simple annual sweep by a trained professional will greatly reduce exposure to the risk of a chimney fire or dangerous incident through poor tenant usage.
Landlords should also pay particular attention to their property insurance policies. A number of insurance underwriters stipulate in their policies that chimneys and flues should be adequately maintained. Failure to do so could render the insurance policy invalid in the event of a claim.
A landlord may, through misguidance or ignorance, construct a rental/tenancy agreement with various clauses that attempt to transfer certain responsibilities over to the tenant. The tenant may well sign that agreement in order to secure the accommodation. However, landlords need to be aware that such signed contracts may not always be legally binding and may in fact be unlawful since these type of clauses could be in breach of existing housing laws and tenants’ rights.
Just because a tenancy agreement/contract is well written and contains impressive legal terms and jargon does not mean that established laws can be over-ruled by it. The law is the law and only an Act of Parliament can amend an existing law, not a landlord’s tenancy agreement.
Before constructing a tenancy agreement a landlord should seek professional documented legal advice to ensure they protect both themselves and their investment.
Clearing the ashes from your woodburner or open fire is just part of the routine. Many of us will use a metal bucket to put them in as it’s not uncommon for there to be... View Article
To preserve the guarantees on your woodburner and chimney, you may well need to have them swept / serviced. BUT, has the installation company said you must use them for service and maintenance to preserve... View Article
The combination of lockdown and cold weather means people are at home using their fires for many more hours per week. Unfortunately for some, this will result in a potentially dangerous chimney fire.
Properly maintained fires and chimneys are very safe but a Carbon Monoxide alarm is there to warn you if something goes wrong. Ask your local professional chimney sweep about CO alarms. A good alarm costs... View Article
Getting your fire up to temperature quickly reduces unnecessary pollution and it's also rather satisfying.
EMILIANO Sala’s death in a tragic plane crash has brought the issue of carbon monoxide in aeroplanes to the forefront of national news. The Argentinian football star was on his way to begin a new... View Article
IF YOU have recently moved into a new home – you may want to study these photos closely. The pics were taken by respected Guild member Alec Osborn, who covers the Hereford area, after he... View Article
CANCER was once an occupational hazard for chimney sweeps. And as if that wasn't bad enough, cancer of the scrotum was a particular problem.
McCauley, aged 5, with mum Adele. He died alongside his grandparents (below) _ PERHAPS it sounds dramatic to say book a chimney sweep to protect your children’s lives from the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.... View Article
Guild chimney sweeps offer a friendly service but take their profession of protecting lives very seriously _ THE MODERN HISTORY of chimney sweeping, in the past 200 years or so, is full of merriment, mystery and... View Article
MONEY is the main concern for a mortgage company when a house buying survey is organised. The company want reassurance that there are no structural issues in the property, for which a buyer is seeking... View Article
CONSUMERS are often advised of the importance in installing a working carbon monoxide (CO) alarm – and rightly so. CO alarms give a level of reassurance to the householder that they will be alerted if... View Article
In case you hadn’t noticed(!) - Christmas is coming. It’s that traditional time of year when our heads spin with a massive list of Things-To-Do. And whatever we tick on that list, there’s always another thing to think of, and another, and so on.
Radio 4 presenter Steve Carver’s documentary on the run up to Christmas following a Cambridge Chimney Sweep!